Root mash steak is an amazing meal to make for special occasions! It is my favorite to make for guests.
*Potato and red meat are to be eaten minimally if following an anti-inflammatory diet.
Root Mash Steak
- 4 Steaks
- 2 Parsnips
- 12oz. Spinach
- 3 Shallots
- 4 Large Potatoes (do not substitute sweet potatoes)
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Balsamic
- Prepare Root Mash: quarter Potatoes and Parsnips, mince Garlic Cloves. Boil veggies in water. Reduce to a low simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until veggies are soft. Drain water leaving veggies in pot. Mash veggies and stir with around 1 cup hot water. Add less or additional hot water for desired consistency.
- Prepare Veggies: Rough chop spinach and stir into Root Mash. Mince Shallots and place to the side.
- Prepare Steak: trim fat from Steaks, pat steaks dry. Add 1 tbsp Olive Oil to pan over medium heat. Add pinch of Salt and Pepper to Steaks. Saute Steaks in pan over high heat for 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Slice Steaks at an angle into strips.
- Balsamic Sauce: Add 1 tbsp olive oil and Shallots to pan over medium heat. Stir for 5 minutes. Turn heat to medium high and add Balsamic. Continue to stir (critical). Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until the sauce is thick and syrupy.
- Plate: Plate Root Mash as base, add sliced Steak strips, and top with Reduced Balsamic sauce.